December 09, 2012

Birthday Celebration Words for Mom

A diversion from the usual technology post. Using Evernote I wrote these words for my mom's recent 90th birthday celebration.

Dear Gram, Mom, Aunt Marge, and Marge,

It is hard to put into words what you mean to your family and me. Although you are celebrating 90 years of a full life that is the envy of others, we recognize your life-long devotion to your family – children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. You are generous in so many ways – thoughtful gifts that you purchase, gifts of crafts or baked goods, and donations to church and charities. However, it is your gifts of love and time that are treasured by so many of us, certainly your family. Whether you lend an ear to our trials and tribulations, provide sage advice, or share the secrets of baking, we value the time you spend with us. By the way, how many of us have been have tasted mom's legendary chocolate candies or better yet received them as gifts?

You are a model for others who wish to live life to its fullest. Be it daily crossword puzzles, several games of Bridge each and every week, exchanging e-mail and playing Sudoku on your iMac, reading countless books and magazines, or your insatiable curiosity, we know from you some of the secrets to keeping an active and engaging mind. (It is never possible to tell a story within earshot of mom because you are going to have to repeat it for re-listening. Mom's curiosity and constantly wanting to know everything won't allow it otherwise.)

As usual there are stories, some that we won't be able to retell this afternoon. I was the most angelic and well-behaved of mom's four children so she spanked me little (tongue in cheek). Though I do remember a thrashing with the fly-swatter when at eight years old I tried to start a brush fire in the back yard. I will let the rest of my siblings provide the more entertaining tales. 

Because you are so constantly upbeat, it may surprise some to know that in 2 and 1/2 decades you underwent two knee replacement surgeries and three cancer surgeries, the most recent barely two months ago. Your strength, positive outlook on life, and faith helped you met each challenge head on, with relatively little effect on your daily life. In fact you went to Christmas Eve service less than one week after your last knee replacement and were buzzing around with energy and eating a hearty meal the evening of your last cancer surgery!  

Mom, thank you for your love, thank you for your generosity, thank you for your courage, thank you for raising and continuing to mentor the four of us, thank you for your inspiration, and thank you for being the greatest mom and gram in the world!

Love your son Joe

9 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Mom.....not mine but that essential person who we all need! Bless you upon your birthday and for your child who posted this. I could not agree more with the sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you
    would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.
    software testing training provider

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ella,

      I am sorry for the LONG delay in replying and you may have already found a solution. Go to https://twitter.com/settings/widgets and click Create New. You will need to log on to your Twitter account. Follow the steps to create the HTML code based on your choices. You can then paste the code into a Blogger HTML/Javascript gadget.

      Delete
  3. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!

    Also read, blogs by Methu
    <a href="https://www.victoriousinfotech.com/business-intelligence.html> Business Intelligence And Analytics</a>

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a model for others who wish to live life to its fullest. Now its time to avail Custom Kraft Boxesfor more details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for writing this quality informative and great content. Your writing technique is impressive and enjoy able to read. This article is birthday celebration of mom. Thank you so much mom for everything you providing me. Thank you for being the greatest mom and gram in the world. Now it's time to get interior demolition for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best celebration is mom birthday. Every person very happy to read this unique article. I really love it. Now it's time to avail HALFCASTE CREAM SET for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you spent a lots of time in this article. I really applaud your work. Please share some more ideas in this article. Now its time to avail roller shutter repairs for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea to share with readers. The ideas are impressive and good to know about latest technologies. I am impressed with your research. Now have a look at medical aesthetics canada.

    ReplyDelete

Distraction Free Reading

You are not alone if you have struggled to keep your focus reading through articles on the web that are bombarded with still and animated...